Hello, Reading Friends and New Subscribers! Let’s remember to pray for our nation and leaders daily, as well as on May 5th, the National Day of Prayer.
When a new novel of mine debuts, I like to share extra “trivia” for those who want a deeper look at the making of the story. With Book One in The COIL Legacy about to be released, this is an inside look of that new novel, Distant Contact. It was developed over ten years, and only recently did it find a home in the emerging COIL storyline. Here are 7 facts about Distant Contact. (Note: Be sure to read Dee’s last post here with details of our upcoming 2016 CELEBRATION & GIVEAWAY.)
7 Facts about Distant Contact
by D.I. Telbat
1. Distant Contact, Book One of The COIL Legacy Series, was originally called Relative Honor, written in 2004, yet not published, before any COIL book had ever been scripted. It sat on the shelf for ten years, until now.
2. Wes Trimble, a character introduced in Dark Vessel, Book 4 of The COIL Series, also appeared in The Legend of Okeanos. This one-eyed CIA agent was first developed in Distant Contact. And he’s here to stay!
3. Titus Caspertein first appeared in Dark Zeal, Book 5 of The COIL Series, as a mouthy, international fugitive. I was laying the groundwork to stage my new COIL Legacy Series around this outcast from Arkansas.
4. Titus Caspertein will remain a central character in all The COIL Legacy novels. And someone near him will become a central character in the next COIL series. (Yes, there’s another one! ;))
5. Oleg Saratov, the Interpol agent from Dark Zeal, becomes Titus’ partner in this new novel. Originally, I was going to kill this character off, but I like him because he gives Titus a hard time, so I found better plans for him.
6. Because so many love the character, Luigi Putelli, he fit naturally into the rewrite of Distant Contact. Though he appears in only a few chapters of this book, we see he’s a pivotal figure in the COIL storyline as he lurks in the shadows, seeking to please Corban, but unknowingly performing God’s will. I can’t imagine Luigi leaving the COIL books any time soon.
7. Looking ahead to The COIL Legacy Book Two, Distant Front, it will contain a massive Chinese operation, and more trouble for the Caspertein family as Titus’ past shenanigans catch up with him. Titus also establishes a specialized group of COIL operatives called, the Kindred of Nails.
Through all the plot twists and international adventure, COIL men and women will continue to live for Jesus Christ. Their flaws will remind us of ourselves, but their faith will encourage us to overcome the things of the world.
May we always keep persecuted Christians in prayer. I look forward to reading your thoughts of my new series when it debuts!
See you on the next page!
COMING UP: We’ll be soon sending a short special email announcing our Celebration & Giveaway! (Read Dee’s last post with details about our celebration here.) Next week, David has a new Mother’s Day short story for you titled, “To Love as a Mother.”